Ok, so you’ve set yourself up as a one man software company and you’ve made some sales. But are you a real microISV/micropreneur/indie/startup? Take the test below and find out.
- You checked the number of sales you made overnight before you had your breakfast this morning.
- You measure the price of desirable objects (cars, houses, Xboxes) in terms of the number of licences you need to sell.
- You’ve outsourced some work to someone with no idea what they look like and only a vague idea where they live.
- When booking a hotel you are more interested in how good the Internet connection is than how good the restaurant is.
- Your product has at least 20 five star awards from download sites.
- You know what CTR, CPC and CPM mean.
- You have begged all your friends and family to ‘like’ your product’s Facebook page.
- You set up your computer or phone so it makes a special noise each time you get a sale.
- Your software has been cracked at least once.
- You have suggested to a particularly problematic customer that one of your competitors might have a more suitable product.
- You’ve done technical support while wearing a dressing gown/bathrobe (or less).
- You have Google alerts and Twitter searches set up for your product name.
- You start to get anxious after not checking your email for more than half a day.
- The last time you set an alarm clock it was because you were going on holiday and didn’t want to miss the flight.
- Your relatives think you don’t have a ‘real job’.
- You own at least 10 domain names.
- You have had to fix problems with your software or website while on holiday.
- You have had a least one chargeback.
- Your software has been flagged as malware by at least one anti-virus package.
- You use at least 3 different email addresses in the course of a day.
- You have explained what you do to someone and they said “And you make a living from that???”.
- You have used Google translate to answer a support email in a language you don’t understand.
- You use “we” when talking about your company, even though its really only you.
- Someone told you a half-baked idea they had in the shower that morning and said they would be willing to give you 50% of the profit if you did 100% of the work to implement it.
- The last time you wore a suit and tie was to a wedding or a funeral.
I scored 25/25, of course (it’s my test). How did you do? Are there any other questions I should have added? Let me know in the comments.
Thanks to fellow microISVs Steph, Oliver, Terrell, Clay and Ian for suggesting some of the above.